The Chinese School at Winston-Salem is a nonprofit educational organization. It promotes Chinese language literacy and culture exchange for enriching cultural diversity in our community. It does not discriminate anyone based on the race, color, nationality and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies and programs.
Students must meet one of the following requirements to be eligible for admission:
a. has been admitted to public school or a private school at time of registration. A school admission letter can be used as evidence of the enrolment to the school.
b. must be at least 4 years old on or before October 31 for the fall semester of the school year.
In addition to the prior requirement, new students are also assessed for their Chinese language levels, which could include a test using the end of school year exam of the immediate lower grade. For example, students seeking admission to second grade could be tested using the first grade end of year exam. However the 1st grader can waive the assessment test.
3, Tuition and fees School tuitions for Chinese and activity class will be determined by the CSWS school board on a semester basis. The tuition covers teacher’s compensations and school operating costs. The fees are for books and other expenditures including end of year school party etc.. The tuition should be paid at the time of registration. Early registration is highly recommended. Book fees are expected to be received before the books are ordered.
4, Tuition Refund
The Chinese School allows withdraw classes only during the first 3 weeks of each semester and the tuition can be 100% refunded before the end of the third week of school. 50% of the tuition can be refunded on or before the midterm exam (on or before 8 weeks of the school). No refund will be issued after the midterm exam (after 8 weeks of the school) or if the student is expelled from the school.
New students registered after 9 weeks of school will pay only 50% of the tuition.
5, Class size Depending on the size of the enrolment, there could be more than one class for each grade of Chinese Language Classes. It will be divided into two classes if the enrolment is over 15 students .
Teacher Rule (Draft) 教师守则( 暂定)
6. 严格要求学生，加强教学管理，每周要进行开堂小测验, 检测上周的学习效果。
Rules for Students
All students are required to be in class on time. A written note or verbal notification by the parent/guardian is required for any absence, late arrival or early leaving of the student.
2. Students should respect the teacher and class rules, sit up attentively at his/her seat in the assigned classroom when class is going on, and obtain the teacher’s permission before leaving the classroom during class when necessary.
3. The class will be dismissed only after the teacher has announced it to the class. Students should know that the teacher will handle any student misconduct regarding common problems. However, some cases will be brought to the school Administrative Committee, and might result in a parent-teacher or parent-school conference to resolve the issue. In a serious case, suspension or exclusion from school may be needed and applied.
4. Students are required to complete all homework in a timely manner, and participate in the tests and exams arranged by the teacher and/or school. All the work missed while the student is absent from school must be made up.
5. It is prohibited for students to use, remove, or replace any school property or teacher’s personal belongings, including but not limited to computers, teaching materials, books, photos, etc. And full restitution by the parent/guardian is required for all damage done to school property by their child.
6. It is forbidden to enter an unoccupied classroom or go through any emergency entrance/exit without the school’s permission except during emergency.
7. Students are required to help maintain the cleanness of the classrooms, hallways, and any other spaces we might use in the school. Any vandalism to the school property is strictly prohibited, and the violator will be subject to fines.
8. Do not touch the fire alarm trigger or call 911 if there is not any emergency. The parents will pay the fine for 911 or fire truck service their child has caused.
9. Students are responsible for their personal belongings, and the School is not responsible for any loss and damage of such personal items.
10. Constructive suggestions or recommendations to teachers and the school are always welcome.
11. All students are expected to dress appropriately at all times in school.
12. Students shall comply with all lawful directions of Principals, teachers, substitute teachers, teacher assistants, bus drivers, and other school personnel who are authorized to give such directions.
13. Students shall not assault, hit, kick, punch, fight, intentionally harm or threaten to harm another person.
Rules for Parents
1. Winston-Salem Chinese School is owned by all registered families and operated by volunteer parents. It is governed by the school Board, Administrative Committee and PTA. Parent’s support & cooperation is vital to the success of our school.
2. All parents should closely observe their child’s progress, positively stimulate them when it comes to learning Chinese. Keep active and close contact with their teachers.
3. Parents are required to encourage and assist their children to follow the school policies, rules and regulations and be role models for their children by following all the policies, rules and regulations. It’s prohibited to shout, fight or quarrel on the school property.
4. Parents should respect for the class arrangements, and any disagreement or concern should be brought to the Administrative Committee directly.
5. Parents should not sit in the classroom without the teacher’s permission, except they are class parents.
6. Parents are required to be considerate and avoid any behaviors inside or outside of the classroom that may interrupt the class.
7. All the parents should be clear about their children’s homework assignments, the teacher’s special request and any school announcement that their children have brought home, and make sure that their children have completed all assignments on time.
8. Classroom cleaning will be taken care of by volunteer parents, duties such as supervising entrance & hallways, keeping the whole property quiet during class, and supporting various school activities will be done by parents on duty.
9. Parents should report to PTA or school staff immediately if an injury occurs..
10. Parents are encouraged to actively participate in school meetings, seminars and open house, and provide any constructive suggestions or recommendations to the Administrative Committee.
11. Parents should have respect to the properties of the school or teachers, and should be responsible for any damages to those properties caused by them or their children.
12. Parents are required to observe the parking rules and regulations when they need to park around the school property.
13. Parents are required to check the e-mails or visit the school’s website for the latest school announcement before they come to school on Saturday.